Translate

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Gaslight (1940)

After "Rebecca" I am now on a roll and I watched "Gaslight", a movie I'd heard so much about. It is so good that when I was forced to take a break, I was on pin-and-needles until I got back to it.
12 Pimlico Square! Alice Barlow is so busy knitting that she is oblivious to the ominous presence in her house. The cops arrive to only find Alice strangled and her house torn apart. Soon a "to-let" sign is up and that sign stays rooted for many years to come. A couple of decades later, 12 Pimlico Square can now boast residents. Newly wed Paul (Anton Walbrook) and Bella (Diana Wynyard) Mallen make a handsome couple but there is something sinister underlying their relationship. Paul keeps Bella on a short-leash accusing her of going crazy after she supposedly mislays a few objects like a brooch and pocket watch. Try as she may she is unable to account for the mishaps. While inevitably banished to her room she  notices the dimming gaslight and she is aware of spooky footsteps from the attic above.
What is the mystery surrounding 12 Pimlico Square? A gripping film that was way ahead of its time.

While I was doing some reading recently, I was intrigued to come across the term "Gaslighting". All psychologists and psychiatrists will be familiar with the term the definition of which is "an increasing frequency of systematically withholding factual information from, and/or providing false information to, the victim - having the gradual effect of making them anxious, confused, and less able to trust their own memory and perception."
Now I would like to know what came first - was it the movie or the term? 😕 Help please!

Word for the day :-
indolent - wanting to avoid activity or exertion; lazy

No comments:

Post a Comment