Translate

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A mi hermana, te extraño ( To my sister, I miss you .. )

This is for my little sister .... Having been the older one, it was a privilege and a matter of pride. We are not too far apart in age and have grown up together having been an important part of each others lives. There are such fond memories that come to mind and it seems like only yesterday - we would stay awake long after the lights were turned out, giggling and swapping stories in the dark. I loved watching horror films but I was scared s#$&-less! I would control the remote and I would insist on watching the film on mute. With my eyes clamped shut and my fingers in my ears my sister would be so upset at not being able to "enjoy" the movie, threatening me that this was the last horror film we would be watching together. I haven't changed! But I wonder at her bravery and that is something she has taught me. I remember the cravings of a midnight snack and making our shared favorite, a steaming bowl of instant noodles that the two of us would enjoy huddled under a blanket. With parents away at work and being left to our devices, we would share our earphones of our one and only Sony Walkman (yes you heard it loud and clear, I do belong to that time) and we would enjoy the read-alongs together. Helping each other with homework, celebrating birthdays, Easters and Christmas and planning exciting gifts and more so sharing life's ups and downs and secrets that could not be entrusted with anyone else ...
I cannot do justice as our whole lives can't be summed up in a few words.

Time has flown and the years have passed, we both have our families and distance has us on different time zones. We each have our share of challenges to face and we don't have the luxury of being able to run to each other anymore. But the bond that we share continues to keep us glued together and something we hope to pass on to future generations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment