Translate

Friday, October 05, 2018

Dhadak (2018) / Sairat (2016)

So, this review comes after I spent a Friday evening watching a much publicized and awaited film. 'Dhadak' is based on the Marathi film 'Sairat' (2016) that I was fortunate to have watched because of and with a dear friend of mine. As the story goes - it's a tale of ill fated love, of a boy from a humble background who falls for a girl from a wealthy and politically inclined family. The movie was impressive and beautifully done. The star caste, the story, the music, the cinematography were brilliant. A 5 in my books and a movie that is to be taken in on a big screen. I've watched the film twice and I've not been able to shake off the goose bumps that always run up and down my spine everytime my mind wanders towards it.
And now for 'Dhadak' ..  How many times has a movie with this storyline been done over and over (in different languages and across different time periods)? So you're definitely looking for something different, right? Then what's happening here! Oh My God, I wanted to scream. How could this have come out all wrong! An absolute disaster from the get-go. Could this be due to the much advertised fact that it's based on a brilliantly made film? 'Dhadak' was the launch pad for Jahnavi Kapoor but she just disappeared in this film. Her acting was expressionless, she came across as quite stiff to be honest, with no possibility of us, as an audience, to get with the  character that she plays. So you're left with this feeling of detachment towards Parthavi (her onscreen character). Is Jahnavi just a pretty face? Mmmm …. Ishaan Khattar was amazing on the other hand, bringing to the film light and life with his lovestruck an kohl lined eyes, his dancing and his boundless energy. The entire movie felt so limp and there wasn't that feeling of urgency, of the dread that hounds you every step of the way as it does in 'Sairat'.
Now I didn't hold much hope for the movie and my instincts weren't unfounded. So I'm glad I didn't spend the money going to the movies and coming home absolutely upset and vowing to myself that never again was I going to watch a film without reading the reviews first.
I've never been this critical of any movie on my blog, but this is one I had to write about. An absolute assault on the senses. Sorry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment