Translate

Friday, August 26, 2016

The Karate Kid (2010)

Haven't we watched at least one of "the Karate Kid" movies that have been made since 1984? But I want to particularly write about my favorite starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan. I'm pretty biased, considering I can watch my favorite martial arts star - Jackie Chan and his famed moves and a beautiful China, of course.
As the story goes, which does nor veer too far from the original - give or take a few details to keep it new and interesting, Dre Parker (Jaden Smith) moves from Detroit, Michigan to Beijing, China owing to his mother's job. As exciting as the new place is he soon encounters bullies who are trained in kung-fu. He seeks the help of a maintenance man, Mr. Han (Jackie Chan) from the apartment complex where he lives. Dre Parker who has an issue with keeping his jacket off the floor soon begins a journey of self-discovery, discipline and respect.
 All of 12 years Jaden shows off a six pack while he comfortably does his splits and he takes your breath away while he trains on the Wall of China and by the  splendid Wudang Mountains.

Truly the best, 1984
Who could forget Miyagi (Pat Morita) and him teaching Daniel kung-fu through what may seem mundane and menial tasks - like waxing the car, sanding down the patio, painting the fence, the house .....
Just a mention, while I was living in Vegas I was lucky to see the Mr. Noriyuki "Pat" Morita shopping on occasion, serene as ever, at the Smiths' on Rancho Dr. close to where he lived.
An image snapped, locked and stored in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment