Translate

Monday, August 29, 2016

"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people" - Victor Borge

There was a time I was tutoring 5 year olds. And believe me, those were the most rewarding and fulfilling, happening and exciting moments that I've had. You could never predict what was coming next!
Exams were looming, which was a stressful time for me, as I'm sure many of you have experienced. And this particular day, we were learning our opposites. With fingers crossed and after an exhausting practice session, we began our review. It was simply stating the opposite of a word and using them in a sentence as an example.
The following was the ensuing conversation -
Me - "Can you give me the opposite of tall accompanied with a sentence?"
Student - "Short. I am tall and he is short."

Me - "Very good! Now the opposite of high is ... "
Student - "Low! The ceiling is high and the floor is low."

A high-five later -
Me - "Now who can give me the opposite of "dark"?
Student - "Light! When it's dark out we must turn on the light!"
Fair enough! I could heave a huge sigh of relief ....

And here is the cincher!!                                                                        
That is hubby dearest and me after that lesson!

Me - "What is the opposite of thin?"

In a New York minute - out popped the answer!

Hold your breath for this one ....

Student - "Fat! You are fat and we are thin!"

A pat on the back to me for getting through that with a straight face and with the utmost patience.
Mind you, I didn't hand out any candy or stickers after that session ......

No comments:

Post a Comment