Translate

Monday, August 08, 2016

Helen Keller ~ “Happiness depends upon ourselves.”

It's been raining for a few days now and there is no sign of the rain letting up. Am I actually missing the sun? I can't answer that, considering how over the last few months the sun has been sucking the life-blood out of everything. Maybe I do miss it a little if only to just dry things up a bit. If you know Indian monsoons then you know the mess they can create and I was lucky to be home, sipping a warming, delicious cup of tomato soup when I heard a voice call out.
A quick peek out the window told me it was the local vegetable vendor. This is luxury as I get veggies home, it's super fresh, as it comes directly from neighboring farms and to top it all it's pocket friendly! That was incentive enough for me to grab my raincoat, shoes and some change. What a mess the whole place was but I plodded on. After looking around a bit I sighted a diminutive woman bearing a huge load over her head, now seeking shelter from the rain. On close inspection I noticed she was young and tiny, making the bundle she carried seem too much of a burden. I began making my selection of the beautiful greens and was careful with the whole pile that was precariously placed. That is exactly when Murphy's law decides to kick-in - the bundles chose to topple over that very moment. Oh My God, I wanted to scream!
Before I could do anything, though, out of nowhere two little hands grabbed the fallen lot and handed me one.Only then did I see the sweetest little kid that I had seen in a while. He was tiny, just like his mum, tanned and dressed all prim and proper, hair combed with not a strand out of place. What grabbed me was the sweetest, heart-melting smile and tiny but sparkling, impish eyes. The little bundle of dill that he held out to me, for that quick instant seemed like a beautiful bunch of  flowers.
I was amazed that despite all odds the smile that radiated from that little person was the truest, purest and the happiest one that I had seen in a while; replete with childlike openness, innocence and pure joy. A smile the likes of which I hadn't seen in a long while and one that I was not likely to forget any time soon.
I often say a quick prayer of thanks whenever I get a moment that grabs me. That was one such moment. I had to remind myself of all that I had and all that I should be grateful for;  Cherishing moments and appreciating little joys and the good things that come my way. I must remember to smile, even though all occasions would not necessarily call for one.
I said a quick prayer for that little one and silently thanked him for the lesson he had taught me that day.
"“Happiness is the meaning and purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” - Aristotle

I absolutely love this picture and I just had to share it

No comments:

Post a Comment